Welcome to Chillstep Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tips on mixing!

mixing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Kasbo

Kasbo

• Producers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
What's up brooskies!
just thought i'd might aswell get a topic goin, so anyways as the titile says... does anyone have any good tips on mixing?
I've been producing for a year and i feel as if i'm not really restricted when it comes to sound creation, ideas melodies and stuff. But the thing that holds me back is that damn mixing haha... it's always an issue and i'm hoping for some helpfull response in the future :)

Someone

Someone

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 77 posts
  • LocationGermany
I have the same problem, #%&ยง!?* Mixing! :angry: :little_laugh:
What DAW do you use? May I can help at least a little bit... Or you can help me :agape:

Posted Image Posted Image

If you keep on doing what you've always done,

you'll keep on being what you've always been.

W. L. Bateman

Kasbo

Kasbo

• Producers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i'm on fl studio, how long u been producing?

Someone

Someone

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 77 posts
  • LocationGermany
I produce music for about 1 and a half year now... using fl, too, with sylenth1 and some free vst instruments (DSK Suite) and effect filters... What Synths / Instruments do you use? And what filters do you use to mix?

W. L. Bateman

Illusive

Illusive

• Producers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNottingham
Use Parametric EQ 2 :) It's what i use all the time. Here is a video i searched for you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLcfSWSDiag
To do a good mix you need to make sure the same frequencies are not try looking for a frequency guide on overpowering each other. http://ezinearticles...rt-1&id=3115417
Feel free to ask any questions and i'll try my best to answer them
  • Someone likes this
['I'm a bit like a rubbish super-hero ..." says Burial, shyly.] Taken from a rare Burial interview in 2007
Check out my latest tune :)
https://soundcloud.c...music-1/believe

Kasbo

Kasbo

• Producers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I produce music for about 1 and a half year now... using fl, too, with sylenth1 and some free vst instruments (DSK Suite) and effect filters... What Synths / Instruments do you use? And what filters do you use to mix?

I mainly use like massive, occasionally sylenth1 although i'm not really good at it, and some times i get lazy an look sounds up on nexus haha i mainly use like parametric eq to mix my tracks... Although i still don't get that crisp sound i want like for instance comparing my upcoming release with seven lions... Maybe i need to master it better but i donno haha

Use Parametric EQ 2 :) It's what i use all the time. Here is a video i searched for you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLcfSWSDiag
To do a good mix you need to make sure the same frequencies are not try looking for a frequency guide on overpowering each other. http://ezinearticles...rt-1&id=3115417

yh i use that one :) watched the video and i learned some stuff :) but i kinda allready understood u want to like focus different sounds on different frequencies to give em more breathing room, but i always feel as my tracks sound "dull" even though every sound is quite nicely mixed, it just doesent have that punchy, lively feel too it but as written above it may be a problem with the mastering..

Someone

Someone

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 77 posts
  • LocationGermany

Nothing very new to me but thanks anyway :bashful_cute_2:

I think you just have to try out what sounds good...
I also use EasyQ, very good EQ in my opinion and its free, but you dont have a analyzer in the background...
by the way, do anyone know a good and FREE analyzer, i tried out bluecats but this plugin makes sounds loader, and thats not what an analyzer should do... :bored:

I mainly use like massive, occasionally sylenth1 although i'm not really good at it, and some times i get lazy an look sounds up on nexus haha

for me its the other way around, i tried out the demo of massive but i'm not good with it, but i love sylenth and the power of this great and (in my opinion) easy synth.

Although i still don't get that crisp sound i want

Im not sure if i understood you right but maybe you need a distortion, saturation or bass enchanger... or the soundgoodizer :wink:

Edited by Someone, 10 October 2012 - 11:19 PM.

W. L. Bateman

fiz

fiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUK
I swear by FL Studio but I my friend is in love with Traktor and manages to get some great sounds out of that. I've been told it's all in the frequency distribution and equalisation... Generally I like to add a bunch of effects - then keep tweaking the buttons around until it sounds good, probably not the best method but it can work

Raze

Raze

• Producers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Hm... I don't know if I can be much help, but I find the best way to approach a song is to focus on every individual sound. And make them as good as you like. Then mix after. Give sounds personalities. Bold ones stay higher on the mix, subtle one's lower. Sorry if it sounds stupid. Haha. I've spent nearly all my time since I've started producing trying to get the my mixing and mastering better but I think it just takes time. Only around a year and a half of experience. :(Haha. Oh, and don't forget layering!

Ask

Ask

• Producers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFrance

In my opinion, mixing is the most important process in a track. It's more important than the mastering! It's in this part that you can give that ''grain'' to you song, and also making even the littlest sounds audible and the way you want.

Here are what I think the important things to do when mixing:

-Use a decent headset or speakers, don't mix with cheap earpods. The more ''neutral'' you sound is, the better result you will get (For example do not use Beats by Dr.Dre / or speakers with a Sub, because you might get suprised when you listen to it on another sound system).  I currently have a Sennheiser HD-25 and it seriously changed everything in my songs!

-Use a bunch of stereo enhancers to widden your tracks / separate all your tracks so they are not in the same stereo place! Or use VSTs such as PanO'rama to automate that.

This is very important for hats, as if you leave them in the center of the stereo field, you probably wont hear them when the snare kicks in for example. That's why you can put them a little bit on the left or the right.

-Listen to your tracks in mono, by turning the stereo separation knob to the right: it's good to have your tracks mixed in stereo, because sometimes if you separate too much your stereo field, things will completely disapear in mono, and it's good to have your track well mixed in both cases.

-On your master track, always keep a Spectroman so you can see which frequencies are missing / are too loud, and fix these problems with EQs (on certain channels or even on the master to give your song a grain)

Also, put multiple EQs on a same channel to really cut out the useless frequencies, sometimes I have channels with 3 EQs!

-Always keep a Limiter on every track so your channels don't go over 0db!

-ALWAYS drop your master level to about -3db (max -6db) : mixing at lower levels is better for your ear so it doesn't get too tired, and so that your tracks are always below 0db. This also permits too boost more important stuff like kicks/snares that are supposed to be a little louder than the rest, without going over 0db.

Putting you track at this level is also benieficial if you want to get it mastered (but I wont talk about this here)

-Concerning the kick, I always see people boosting the 40Hz part with an EQ: you shouldn't! Lower the 40Hz part and boost the 60-80Hz to give more it more punch.

-Once your track is finished, to get a better quality, you can export it as a 24 bit WAV, re-open that file in Edison, go to ''Edit'' and click normalize. This will make your song as close to 0db as in can get. This is the first part of mastering.

-What is also important in mixing is experimenting, and spending time on it.

-And finally USE YOU EARS, and don't give too much importance to the DAW! Do the mixing the way you think is the best.

I can't think right now of more stuff, even I know there is still a lot to go through. I'll probably edit this post often do add/change stuff.

Feel free to ask questions/correct me and/or add stuff!

I hope this helps!

Ask.

Edited by Ask, 08 March 2013 - 01:13 PM.

• Someone and AllenMolino like this
You can check out my music here:
http://soundcloud.com/askprod

Someone

Someone

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 77 posts
  • LocationGermany

I accustom myself to follow 4 very easy steps for the mixing:

1. Volume:
Normaly I do that while I produce... Volume is important, and its not very clever to pull up everything... Everything have to be harmonic.

2. Panning:

Not only that an instrument should be balanced (A bass just playing on the right site dont sound nice). There are also ways to place your stuff in the stereo field. For example you center your Kick and Snare, and let your hats play on the very right and left site... There are tutorials where persons explain it way better than Im able to. Panning is also about stereo and mono. Basses and Kicks usually are mono...

3. EQ cutting:

Its a tip I got from a professional mastering engenier. Before you enhance, boost, saturate or whatever the sound cut everythin out you dont need! It will let your mix sounds cleaner, even if you dont notice anythin in the first place. Just try it.

4. EQ Boosting:

Boost the frequencys where its needed. Im not sure how to explain it... There are sections where you can make the sound sound more warm for example... However, theres a picture that helped me:

FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg

• BZDiscovery likes this

W. L. Bateman

LiveFromOurBassment

LiveFromOurBassment

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thanks for all the tips 

I will try them on my next songs 

cause mixing is always a problem  :frown:

BZDiscovery

BZDiscovery

• Producers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

This may or may not be what others have faced, but for years I thought I had a 'mixing' problem.  That is until I really started playing piano more.  You see what I learned by sitting in front of a piano is not to compete as much in the same frequency ranges.  Of course the lower the frequencies the more careful you need to be with stacking frequencies near each other.

So something that might be of interest is trying to write your next song in one instrument (just to get started).  Naturally the bassline will go in the low octave, probably some chords in the middle, and perhaps a melody on the high end.  By laying out things this way on the piano it really helped me, but I may have had separate troubles.

• Someone likes this

Farley

Farley

• Producers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I think mixing will always be arch enemy of electronical music. The reason, that sounds we play with are not based on physical reference. In other words, nobody know how they "should" sound properly until they sound that way. (That's also why sound design is tough to learn properly.) Getting glimplse at that is really a hard task. But perfecting balance/eq/pan/dynamics combo is always a massive part of the process. Bob Owsinski's Mixing Engineer's Handbook is great for that, but you have to read it in context. Some troubles they faced there are long gone now and some new appeared since then.

Edited by Farley, 19 March 2014 - 10:29 AM.

All links and stuff: http://farley.cz

AllenMolino

AllenMolino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I also have a problem with this one :P but try to search on an EQ Cheat sheet on google enjoy producing am I too late on this topic? :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)